Drug use in the workplace, its effect on performance and safety, and the role of workplace drug testing has received much attention in the popular press. But what do we actually know about this troubling issue?
With an extensive and readable overview of the literature, the committee presents what we do know by examining the major issues:
- The extent and severity of drug use on and off the job.
- The strengths and weaknesses of methods for detecting drug use through standard drug tests.
- The effect of drug use on behavior, including the results of both laboratory and field studies that have examined work-related behavior and worker productivity.
- The effectiveness of interventions to deal with drug use, such as employee assistance programs, health promotion programs, and treatment programs for substance abuse.
This volume will be of practical interest to human resource and employee assistance program managers, policymakers, and investigators.
| 6 x 9
Institute of Medicine and National Research Council. Under the Influence?: Drugs and the American Work Force. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 1994.
Import this citation to:
The National Academies Press (NAP) has partnered with Copyright Clearance Center's Rightslink service to offer you a variety of options for reusing NAP content. Through Rightslink, you may request permission to reprint NAP content in another publication, course pack, secure website, or other media. Rightslink allows you to instantly obtain permission, pay related fees, and print a license directly from the NAP website. The complete terms and conditions of your reuse license can be found in the license agreement that will be made available to you during the online order process. To request permission through Rightslink you are required to create an account by filling out a simple online form. The following list describes license reuses offered by the National Academies Press (NAP) through Rightslink:
- Republish text, tables, figures, or images in print
- Post on a secure Intranet/Extranet website
- Use in a PowerPoint Presentation
- Distribute via CD-ROM
Click here to obtain permission for the above reuses. If you have questions or comments concerning the Rightslink service, please contact:
Rightslink Customer Care
Tel (toll free): 877/622-5543
To request permission to distribute a PDF, please contact our Customer Service Department at 800-624-6242 for pricing.
To request permission to translate a book published by the National Academies Press or its imprint, the Joseph Henry Press, please click here to view more information.