The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
Neurological, Psychiatric, and Developmental Disorders: Meeting the Challenge in the Developing World
Capacity to support dissemination and generalization within countries.
Support for these projects should be provided by a wide range ofinternational and local organizations, including the World HealthOrganization Nations for Mental Health Initiative; the World Bank;the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health; government developmentagencies; national ministries of health, education, welfare, andfinance; and international and local professional and patient advocacyorganizations.
1. N. Husain, F. Creed, and B. Tomenson. Depression and social stress in Pakistan. Psychological Medicine Mar;30(2):395–402, 2000.
2. K.S. Kendler, M.D. Karkowski, and C.A. Prescott. Causal Relationship Between Stressful Life Events and the Onset of Major Depression. American Journal of Psychiatry Jun;156:6:837–841, 1999.
3. A. Bertelsen, B. Harvald, and M Gauge. A Danish Twin Study of manic depressive disorders. British Journal of Psychiatry 130:330–351, 1997
4. J. Heinik, P. Werner, A. Mendel, B. Raikher, and A. Bleich. The Cambridge Cognitive Examination (CAMCOG): Validation of the Hebrew version in elderly demented patients. International Journal of Geriatrics Psychiatry Dec;14(120:1006–1013, 1999.
5. A.K. Lehman, B. Ellis, J. Becker, I. Rosenfarb, R. Devine, A. Khan, et al. Personality and depression: A validation study of the depressive experiences questionnaire. Journal of Personality Assessment Feb;68(1):197–210, 1997.
6. V. Patel, J. Pereira, L. Coutinho, and R. Fernandes. Is labeling of common mental disorders as psychiatric illness useful in primary care? Indian Journal of Psychology 39:239–246, 1997.
7. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-IV), APA, Washington, D.C., 1994.
8. World Health Organization. The ICD-10 Classification of mental and behavioural disorders: diagnosticcriteria for research. Geneva: WHO, 1993.
9. A. Sarin. Depression. The National Medical Journal of India 10(2):77–79, 1997.
10. T. Sivik, N. Delimar, and R. Schoenfeld. Construct validity of the Sivik Psychosomaticism Test and test of operational style: Correlations with four Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) subscales. Intergration of Physiology and Behaviorial Science Apr–Jun;34(2):79–84, 1999.
11. V. Patel and C. H. Todd. The validity of the Shona version of the Self Report Questionnaire (SRQ) and the development of the SRQ8. International Journal Methods of Psychiatric Research 6:153–160, 1996.
12. V. Patel. The epidemiology of mental disorders in South Asia. National Institute of Mental Health and Neurological Sciences Journal (in press), 2000.
13. M. Nichter. Idioms of distress: Alternatives in the expresion of psychosocial distress: A case study from South India. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry Dec;5(4):379–408, 1981.