and private-sector leaders to develop standards, policies, and practices. The NEHRP agencies have established three overarching, long-term Strategic Goals, with 14 associated objectives, to support this mission:
Goal A: Improve understanding of earthquake processes and impacts.
• Objective 1: Advance understanding of earthquake phenomena and generation processes.
• Objective 2: Advance understanding of earthquake effects on the built environment.
• Objective 3: Advance understanding of the social, behavioral, and economic factors linked to implementing risk reduction and mitigation strategies in the public and private sectors.
• Objective 4: Improve post-earthquake information acquisition and management.
Goal B: Develop cost-effective measures to reduce earthquake impacts on individuals, the built environment, and society-at-large.
• Objective 5: Assess earthquake hazards for research and practical application.
• Objective 6: Develop advanced loss estimation and risk assessment tools.
• Objective 7: Develop tools that improve the seismic performance of buildings and other structures.
• Objective 8: Develop tools that improve the seismic performance of critical infrastructure.
Goal C: Improve the earthquake resilience of communities nationwide.
• Objective 9: Improve the accuracy, timeliness, and content of earthquake information products.
• Objective 10: Develop comprehensive earthquake risk scenarios and risk assessments.
• Objective 11: Support development of seismic standards and building codes and advocate their adoption and enforcement.
• Objective 12: Promote the implementation of earthquake-resilient measures in professional practice and in private and public policies.
• Objective 13: Increase public awareness of earthquake hazards and risks.
• Objective 14: Develop the nation’s human resource base in earthquake safety fields.