- Develop a schematic of your educational and career plan.
- Imagine what you will be doing in 5, 10, and 20 years.
- Review the current career market for your discipline and subdiscipline and for interdisciplinary areas that include your own.
- Think about your strengths your weaknesses; make a list of each.
- Describe the tempo and environment of each career that you are considering. What do your strengths and weaknesses tell you about the appropriateness of each career?
- For each career option that appeals to you, what skills (academic, social, and other) are needed? How successfully have you used these skills already?
- Seek a volunteer or internship position in a career area that you are considering.
- Participate in a career day or job fair.
- ''Job shadow" someone in an occupation that you are considering.