12. Encyclopedia Britannica. "Jenner, Edward" (CD-ROM). 1998.
13. United Kingdom Ministry of Health. Smallpox 1961–63. In Reports on Public Health and Medical Subjects, No. 109. London: Her Majesty's Stationary Office, 1963.
14. T. Mack. Smallpox in Europe. Journal of Infectious Disease 125(2): 161–169, 1972.
15. D.A. Henderson. Historical Background. Paper prepared for the Workshop of the IOM Committee on Assessment of Future Scientific Needs for Live Variola Virus, 20 November 1998, Washington, D.C.
16. WHO (World Health Organization). Report of the Meeting of the Ad Hoc Committee on Orthopox Virus Infections. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1994.
17. NIH (National Institutes of Health). "Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules" (Online). Available at: http://www.nih.gov/od/ orda/apndxg.htm. Accessed 15 December 1998.
18. G. Holzer and F.G. Falkner. Construction of a vaccinia virus deficient in the essential DNA repair enzyme uracil DNA glycosylase by a complementing cell line. Journal of Virology 71(7):4997–5002, 1997.
19. WHO (World Health Organization). "World Health Assembly Closes in Geneva" (press release). 27 May 1996. Available at: http://www.who.int/inf-pr-1996/wha96-11.html. Accessed October 23, 1998
20. WHO (World Health Organization). Destruction of the smallpox virus. Weekly Epidemiological Report (serial online) 74(4):27–28, 29 January 1999. Available at: http://www.who.int/wer/pdf/1999/wer7404.pdf. Accessed 3 February 1999.
21. U.S. Department of Defense/Department of Health and Human Services Smallpox Research Group. Smallpox Research Plan, Memorandum of Transmittal to National Security Council (Daniel Ponneman), 30 June 1995.
22. J. Neyts and E. De Clercq. Efficacy of (S)-1-(3-hydroxy-2 phosphonyl-methoxypropyl)cytosine for the treatment of lethal vaccinia virus infections in severe combined immune deficiency (SCID) mice. Journal of Medical Virology 41(3):242–246, 1993.
23. K.P. Meadows, S.K. Tyring, A.T. Pavia, and T.M. Rallis. Resolutionof recalcitrant molluscum contagiosum virus lesions in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients treated with cidofovir . Archives of Dermatology 133(8):987–990, 1997.
24. J. W. Huggins. Presentation at the Workshop of the IOM Committee on Assessment of Future Scientific Needs for Live Variola Virus, 20 November 1998, Washington, D.C.
25. P.B. Jahrling. Presentation at the Workshop of the IOM Committee on Assessment of Future Scientific Needs for Live Variola Virus, 20 November 1998, Washington, D.C.