Click for next page ( 172

The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
500 Fifth St. N.W. | Washington, D.C. 20001

Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use and Privacy Statement

Below are the first 10 and last 10 pages of uncorrected machine-read text (when available) of this chapter, followed by the top 30 algorithmically extracted key phrases from the chapter as a whole.
Intended to provide our own search engines and external engines with highly rich, chapter-representative searchable text on the opening pages of each chapter. Because it is UNCORRECTED material, please consider the following text as a useful but insufficient proxy for the authoritative book pages.

Do not use for reproduction, copying, pasting, or reading; exclusively for search engines.

OCR for page 171
APPENDIX D Regulations Concerning Applications by Foreign Research Scholars to Engage in Scientific Research in Institutions of Higher Education in China (September 1985) State Education Commission People's Republic of China 1) In order to promote academic exchanges and enhance friendship between the peoples of China and other countries, the State Education Commission of the People's Republic of China welcomes foreign re- search scholars to come to China to conduct scientific research in a special field. 2) The term "foreign research scholars," here, applies to those who come to conduct scientific research in a Chinese institution of higher education open to foreigners. They should hold the professional title of professor or associate professor, or possess the equivalent status, or be in China for post-doctoral research. 3) In general, foreign research scholars coming to China should do so through government exchange programs (except for those who come on inter-university exchange programs). The State Education Com- mission will make arrangements for foreign research scholars who come to China under government exchange programs or any other special agreements to conduct scientific research in higher education. No ar- rangements will be made by the Commission for those who intend to conduct research in organizations other than institutions of higher ed- ucation. 4) Application procedures: The State Education Commission will send a copy of the "Application Form for Foreign Research Scholars to Con- duct Scientific Research in Chinese Institutions of Higher Education" to foreign embassies in China, foreign sponsoring departments or in- dividuals in accordance with relevant agreements. At least four months 171

OCR for page 171
172 CHINA BOUND prior to their arrival in China, the applicants should fill out the appli- cation form in duplicate in Chinese and send one copy to the State Education Commission of China and the other to the host Chinese in- stitution of higher education. The details will be worked out by foreign sponsoring departments or the individual research scholars themselves through direct consultations with the relevant institutions of higher education in China. The host Chinese institution will send a formal invitation to the ap- plicant after it approves the application. Meanwhile, the Commission will authorize the relevant Chinese diplomatic mission abroad to issue a visa to the applicant. After being registered, applicants will be granted a "Foreign Research Scholar Card" by the host institution. 5) Expenses: A monthly research fee of $300 in the form of foreign exchange certificates is to be paid by self-supporting foreign research scholars (based on the exchange rate of foreign currency to Chinese renminbi on the day applicants are registered). For those staying less than half a month, the fee will be calculated for half a month; for those staying more than a half a month but less than a month, the fee will be calculated for a whole month. Should the $300 be insufficient to cover the research expenses, an extra fee will be charged according to the regulations of the host institution. In addition, board, lodging, travel, medical, photocopying, and field trip expenses will be borne by the individual research scholars themselves. Self-supporting foreign scholars who are exempt from the research fee according to relevant agreements will pay their own board, lodging, transportation, medical, photocopying, and field trip expenses. If their monthly laboratory fee exceeds $300, they should pay the difference. Foreign research scholars sponsored by the Chinese side in accor- dance with the relevant agreements are exempt from the research fee, the expenses covering a single room on campus, medical Ecare], and transportation in the city related to academic activities. Each month, the relevant Chinese institutions will provide them 250 ynan in renminbi for board and pocket money. During their stay in China, they will be offered 500 ynan in renminbi for academic field trips. The costs of pho- tocopying and any field trip expenses over 500 ynan in renminbi must be borne by themselves. All expenses for foreign research scholars' family members should be paid by themselves. 6) Foreign research scholars must observe laws and decrees of the Chinese government, abide by the rules of the recipient institutions and respect the Chinese people's customs and habits. 7) The Chinese institution of higher education chosen by a research scholar for his or her research must be in a place open to foreigners. As a rule, no change in place should be made during the stay in China. If the necessity arises to conduct research in another institution or take

OCR for page 171
APPENDIX D 173 field trips in other places, a separate plan should be worked out through consultation by the recipient institution and the research scholar. 8) Foreign research scholars should submit their research plans to relevant host institutions and carry out independent scientific research with the consent of the host institutions. Generally, the plan will not be changed after it is made. After the conclusion of their research work, they should submit to the host institutions a brief report of their re- search and a list of the material they intend to take home. Only material which falls within the limits set by the host institutions and Chinese customs can be taken out of China. Foreign research scholars wishing to have Chinese assistants help in their independent scientific research should state their specific requests on the application form, and the salaries of the Chinese assistants should be determined through consultation with the host institutions. The Chinese assistants are selected by the Chinese side. The publication of the results of their research should include an acknowledgment of the role of the Chinese assistants. 9) Research studies and field trips by foreign research scholars can be conducted only in places open to foreigners. As a general rule, the Commission and relevant institutions do not arrange such activities in areas not open to foreigners. In general, the field trip will last two weeks in every half year. 10) If foreign research scholars require data or other written mate- rial, they should apply to the recipient institutions and their requests will be dealt with in accordance with the decrees of the Chinese gov- ernment and regulations of the departments concerned. 11) Foreign research scholars are expected to be able to use Chinese as a working language. The Chinese side will not be responsible for providing translators or interpreters. 12) Foreign research scholars will generally be provided with ac- commodations in hotels while in China. Where conditions permit, they can also board and lodge at the relevant institutions with the tatters' consent. From the port of entry to the final destination, the sponsor or the foreign research scholars themselves will be responsible for their own board, accommodations, and transportation. 13) Foreign research scholars are advised not to bring their families during their stay in China. Should their families come to China, the Chinese side will not be responsible for arrangements regarding their work, schooling or enrollment in nurseries. 14) The above regulations do not apply to those foreign scholars who come to China to give lectures, make short-term visits, or conduct spe- cial joint research projects according to other relevant agreements. All arrangements for them in China, including their expenses, will be dealt with in accordance with the relevant agreements.