7. Howard Hughes Medical Institute. 1999. Fellows and their research. Search for current fellows. [Online]. Available: http://www.hhmi.org/grants/graduate/fellows/fellowsrch.htm [accessed January 28, 2000].
8. Institute of Medicine. Committee on Addressing Career Paths for Clinical Research. 1994. Careers in clinical research: Obstacles and opportunities. William N. Kelley and Mark A. Randolph. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
9. Narin F. 1976. Evaluative Bibliometrics. The Use of Publication and Citation Analy sis in the Evaluation of Scientific Activity. Cherry Hill, NJ: Computer Horizons, Inc.
10. National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine. 1995. Reshaping the Graduate Education of Scientists and Engineers. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
11. National Institute of General Medical Sciences. 1998. The Careers and Professional Activities of Graduates of the NIGMS Medical Scientist Training Program. Pub. No. 98-4363. Bethesda, Md: National Institutes of Health.
12. National Institute of Mental Health. 1999. NIMH—Conferences on Video. [Online]. Available: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/events/meetingsvideo.cfm [accessed January 28, 2000].
13. National Research Council. 1998. Trends in the Early Careers of Life Scientists. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
14. National Research Council. 1994. Meeting the Nation's Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
15. National Science Board Subcommittee on Science and Engineering Indicators . 1998. Science and Engineering Indicators—1998. Arlington, Va: National Science Foundation.
16. Relman AS. 1999. The NIH “E-biomed” proposal—A potential threat to the evaluation and orderly dissemination of new clinical studies [editorial]. N Engl J Med 340:1828–1829.
17. Office of Technology Assessment, United States Congress. 1986. Research funding as an investment: Can we measure the returns? Washington, DC: Office of Technology Assessment, Congress of the United States.
18. Office of Technology Assessment, United States Congress. 1991. Federally funded research: Decisions for a decade. Washington, DC: Office of Technology Assessment, Congress of the United States.