46. National Cancer Institute. 1994.Specialized programs of research excellence in breast cancer.NIH Guide 23.[Online].Available: www.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CA-94-027.html[accessed 1999].
47. National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment Program.Eligibility Requirements. [Online].Available: lrp.info.nih.gov/aib/aib2.htm [accessed November 1999].
48. National Research Council. 1994.Meeting the Nation's Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists. Washington, DC:National Academy Press.
49. Rosenberg L. 1999.Physician-scientists—Endangered and essential.Science283:331–332.
50. Ruksznis E. 1999.Interdisciplinarity: Psychology + X.Observer 12:1.
51. Service RF. 1999.Interdisciplinary research—Berkeley puts all its eggs in two baskets.Science 286:226–227.
52. Sigma Xi. 1998.Removing the Boundaries: Perspectives on Cross-Disciplinary Research: Final Report on an Inquiry into Cross-Disciplinary Science. New Haven, Conn: Sigma Xi,The Scientific Research Society.
53. Smagtik, P. 2000.NIH seeks funding for neuroscience centerNature 403:123.
54. Society for Neuroscience. 1995.Society for Neuroscience 1995 membership survey. [Online]. Available: www.sfn.org/membdata/[accessed January 7, 2000].
55. Somerville MA. 1998.UNESCO transdisciplinary programmes, preliminary insights. Transdisciplinary. Paris:UNESCO, Division of Philosophy and Ethics [Online]. Avaliable: www.unesco.org/philosophy/transdisciplinarity[accessed January 4, 2000].
56. Their SO. 1981.Symposium on the academic physician: An endangered species. Recommendations for remedies. Bull NYAcad Med 57:480–487.
57. White B. 1997.Multiple authorship. Science 275:461.
58. Whitley R. 1981.The context of scientific investigation. In: Knorr KD, Krohn R, Whitley R.The Social process of scientific investigation. Boston: D Reidel Pub. Co.
59. Wilbanks T. 1986.Communications between hard and soft sciences. In: Chubin DE, Porter AL, Rossini FA, Connolly T.Interdisciplinary Analysis and Research: Theory and Practice of Problem-Focused Research and Development. Mt. Airy, Md: Lomond Publications, Inc..Pp. 131–140.
60. Wyngaarden JB. 1979.The clinical investigator as an endangered species. N Engl J Med 301:1254–1259.